This is my jewellery work and news. My thinking and making is all on my blog here and my general portfolio is here

Monday 16 May 2011

About me

 Portrait taken by Dstel on 1972 nikomat camera

Having realised that I have never really written about myself and my work this is a kind of introduction to me and it.

I have had a long standing interest in making and textile techniques.  As a child I spent most of my time with my grandparents, painting, sewing, dying, gluing and generally making stuff.  I went on to spend  few years working in a bookshop as I figured out what I wanted to do as an adult.  I decided to undertake a foundation year, studying textiles at an adult college then I went on to study textile design for my BA at Chelsea College of Art and Design in London.  For my 3rd year projects I worked mainly in wood, first creating some small scale interior pieces for windows from veneers, and then creating some conceptual floor coverings, working within a framework I created about Slow Design.


My interest in the environmental impact of textile design (and of design in general) led me on to thinking about ways of working in a healthier manner.  I started experimenting more with wood work and using my textile training to help me with pattern and colour designs.  I now use these ideas to decorate my work, creating intricate patterns and dramatic colour splashes.  I exhaust my dyes so there is a very minimal amount of chemical wastage, and I use eco-friendly dyes in the first place.  I mainly use reclaimed and recycled wood from a couple of carpenter friends and leftovers form my degree project.  This summer I hope to earn more about casting my own silver etc so I can start to use recycled silver too.  At the moment I use silver from a shop in London.  I hope to make work that one can enjoy for a long time, meaning that less goes to landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment